LeapRate's Daily Forex Industry Newsletter
Join now to receive first access to our EXCLUSIVE reports and updates.
Screenshot of a breaking news alert e-mail from Q2 2017
Singapore Exchange Limited (SGX:S68) has earlier today reported its operating metrics for September 2015, with the results failing to match the strong numbers recorded in August 2015, at least when it comes to Forex futures trading activity.
In September 2015, total FX Futures volume was 465,665, down 9.7% from the result recorded in August 2015, but up 362% from September 2014.
The volume of SGX INR/USD Futures, which traditionally account for the biggest part of the Forex turnover, was 424,883 contracts in September 2015, down 9.5% from August 2015 but up 363% from September 2014 levels.
Below is the full data.
- Total securities market turnover value grew 7% year on year to $22.5 billion.
- Securities daily average value (SDAV) increased 18% year on year to $1.1 billion.
- Trading of STI stocks represented 73% of total trading value in September 2015, compared to 58% in September 2014.
- Market turnover value of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) was $227 million, up 2% year on year, on the back of a 39% increase in volume.
- There were 24 new bond listings in September, raising $10.5 billion, with foreign issuers accounting for 79% of the bond listings.
- SGX welcomed the listing of TLV Holdings Limited on Catalist in September 2015, bringing total number of listed companies on Catalist to 165, with total market capitalisation of $8.7 billion as at end September 2015. So far this year, $185 million has been raised from new listings on Catalist, an increase of 53% as compared to a year ago.
- Total market capitalisation value of 772 listed companies stood at $876 billion as at end September 2015.
- Total derivatives volume was 14.1 million, up 33% year on year.
- Equity Index Futures volume was 12.1 million contracts, up 25% year on year.
- FTSE China A50 Index Futures remained the most active contract with volume of 5.8 million, up 49% year on year.
- Nikkei 225 Index Futures volume was 2.8 million contracts, up 9% year on year.
- MSCI India Index Futures reached 56,472 contracts, up from 358 contracts a year earlier. SGX CNX Nifty Index Futures volume was 1.8 million, up 15% year on year.
- Total FX Futures volume was 465,665, up 362% from 100,866 a year earlier.
- SGX INR/USD Futures was 424,883 contracts, up 363% and remained the key driver of total FX volume growth.
- Volume of OTC SGD Interest Rate Swaps was $7.9 billion, up 83% year on year.
- SGX AsiaClear derivatives volume was 964,770, up 151% year on year.
- Iron Ore Futures volume reached 726,480 contracts, up 194% year on year. Of that, 8,350 contracts was SGX Iron Ore Lump Premium Futures, which was launched in August.
- Forward Freight Futures volumes reached 22,616 contracts, up from 30 contracts a year earlier.
- SICOM Rubber Futures, the world’s price benchmark for physical rubber, was flat year on year at 46,733 contracts.
To view the official announcement from SGX on its September 2015 metrics, click here.