LeapRate's Daily Forex Industry Newsletter
Join now to receive first access to our EXCLUSIVE reports and updates.
Screenshot of a breaking news alert e-mail from Q2 2017
Singapore Exchange Limited (SGX:S68) today reported its operating metrics for January 2016, with Forex volumes staging steep increases in both monthly and annual terms, in the face of a month-on-month decline in yuan futures turnover.
In January 2016, the FX futures volume at SGX was 522,933 contracts, up 23% from December 2015, when the volume was 425,188 contracts. The rise was even more impressive in annual terms – the January 2016 FX volumes were 119% higher than in January 2015.
The result obviously reflected a 27% month-on-month rise in INR/USD futures volumes and could not be offset by a 24% month-on-month drop in USD/CNH futures volumes.
The full data can be viewed below.
- Total Securities market turnover value increased 36% month on month and fell 8% year on year to S$23.2 billion, during 20 trading days compared to 22 in December and 21 in January 2015.
- Securities daily average value (SDAV) increased 50% month on month and fell 4% year on year to S$1.2 billion.
- Market turnover value of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) was S$275 million, up 56% month on month and up 2% year on year.
- There were 3 new Catalist listings, raising S$42 million.
- There were 25 new bond listings, raising S$13 billion.
- Total market capitalisation of 771 listed securities stood at S$855 billion as at end January 2016.
- Total Derivatives volume was 17.7 million, up 24% month on month and up 21% year on year.
- Equity Index Futures volume was 15.4 million, up 26% month on month and up 17% year on year.
- FTSE China A50 Index Futures remained the most active contract with volume of 8.2 million, up 29% month on month and up 15% year on year.
- SGX CNX Nifty 50 Index Futures volume was 1.8 million, up 10% month on month and down 12% year on year.
- Nikkei 225 Index Futures volume was 3.0 million, up 33% month on month and up 34% year on year.
- MSCI India Index Futures volume was 15,920, down 71% month on month and up from 1,059 contracts a year earlier.
- Total FX Futures volume was 522,933, up 23% month on month and up 119% year on year.
- SGX INR/USD Futures volume was 463,855, up 27% month on month and up 125% year on year.
- SGX USD/CNH Futures volume was 39,552, down 24% month on month and up 504% year on year.
- Volume of cleared OTC SGD Interest Rate Swaps was S$16.9 billion, up 172% month on month and up 57% year on year.
- SGX Commodities Derivatives volume was 1.2 million, up 15% month on month and up 110% year on year.
- Iron Ore Derivatives volume was 1.1 million, up 13% month on month and up 113% year on year.
- Forward Freight Derivatives volume was 46,588, up 57% month on month and up 375% year on year.
- SICOM Rubber Futures volume, the world’s price benchmark for physical rubber, was 72,125, up 39% month on month and up 52% year on year.
You can view the detailed report by clicking here.
Latest research from Maria Nikolova (see all)
- TradingView adds one-click alerts and orders - May 19, 2016
- ICE to bring new funds rate futures contract to market in late 2016 - May 19, 2016
- LCH’s SwapClear compresses more than $1 quadrillion of cleared notional - May 19, 2016
- Darwinex launches new feature allowing traders to hide strategies - May 19, 2016