LeapRate's Daily Forex Industry Newsletter
Join now to receive first access to our EXCLUSIVE reports and updates.
Screenshot of a breaking news alert e-mail from Q2 2017
Moscow Exchange, or Moskovskaya Birzha MMVB-RTS PAO (MCX:MOEX), saw the traditional decline in monthly trading volumes in January, primarily due to the winter holidays season in Russia.
The overall picture was reflected in the detailed Forex volumes metrics for January 2016, which MOEX published today. The data pointed to decreases in monthly trading volumes across a raft of currency pairs. It is useful to note, however, that the decline in monthly volumes does not necessarily equal lower trading activity. Let’s mention that Forex ADV in January 2016 were higher than in December 2015.
Let’s take a look at the latest data.
- Trading volumes of CNY/RUB (Chinese yuan vs Russian ruble) amounted to RUB 61.7 billion, down 39.9% from the level of RUB 102.7 billion registered in December 2015. CNY/RUB transactions accounted for 0.2% of all FX trades at MOEX in January, down from a share of 0.3% in December.
- The most traded FX contract was USD/RUB, which accounted for 84.3% of the total FX trading volumes in January, up from a share of 80.4% in December 2015. The USD/RUB monthly volume for the first month of 2016 was RUB 23.4 trillion, down 6% from December levels.
- EUR/RUB transactions accounted for 12.7% of all FX transactions in January, down from a share of 14.3% in the preceding month. The trading volume was RUB 3.5 trillion, down 20.4% from December 2015 levels.
- EUR/USD accounted for 2.8% of all FX transactions in January, down from a share of 5% in December. The trading volume was RUB 0.7 trillion, down 53% from December 2015 levels.
You can download the full report by clicking here.
Latest research from Maria Nikolova (see all)
- TradingView adds one-click alerts and orders - May 19, 2016
- ICE to bring new funds rate futures contract to market in late 2016 - May 19, 2016
- LCH’s SwapClear compresses more than $1 quadrillion of cleared notional - May 19, 2016
- Darwinex launches new feature allowing traders to hide strategies - May 19, 2016