Moscow Exchange (MOEX) just released its trading volumes report for the month of August 2019. Total trading volume across MOEX markets was RUB 68.9 trln last month (RUB 79.5 trln for the same period last year; RUB 72.1 trln in July 2019). The number of trading days in August 2019 was 22 (23 trading days same period last year).
The growth leaders were the Equity Market (up 17.1%) and Derivatives Market ( up 9.5%), including commodities derivatives (a rise of 100.1%).
Equity & Bond Market
- Total trading volumes on the Equity and Bond Markets last month was RUB 2,566.8 bln (August 2018: RUB 2,687.3 bln), hereinafter exclusive of overnight bonds.
- Turnover in shares, RDRs and investment fund units were up 17.1% and reached RUB 1,050.4 bln (August 2018: RUB 897.1 bln). The average daily turnover was up 22.4% to RUB 47.7 bln (August 2018: RUB 39.0 bln).
- Turnover in corporate, regional and sovereign bonds was RUB 1,516.4 bln (August 2018: RUB 1,790.2 bln). The average daily trading volume (ADTV) was RUB 68.9 bln (August 2018: RUB 77.8 bln).
- 68 new bond issues with a combined value of RUB 996.8 bln were placed last month.
- Derivatives Market volumes were up 9.5% to RUB 9.2 trln (August 2018: RUB 8.4 trln) or 158.8 mln contracts (same month last year: 134.5 mln), of which 152.9 mln contracts were futures and 6.0 mln contracts were options. ADTV was up 14.5% to RUB 416.5 bln (August 2018: RUB 363.8 bln).
- In the total Derivatives Market volumes, turnover in commodities derivatives was RUB 3.0 trln, a twofold increase (August 2018: RUB 1.5 trln).
- Open interest at the end of the month was RUB 645.2 bln (August 2018: RUB 636.3 bln).
- Standartised OTC Derivatives Market turnover was RUB 10.5 bln.
- FX Market turnover was RUB 27.8 trln, down 6% MoM (August 2018: RUB 31.4 trln; RUB 29.6 trln in July 2019), with spot trades totaling RUB 7.4 trln and swap trades and forwards totaling RUB 20.4 trln.
- The FX Market’s ADTV was RUB 1,262.8 bln (USD 19.3 bln), compared to RUB 1,363.4 bln (USD 20.7 bln) in August 2018.
- Money Market turnover was RUB 27.8 trln (August 2018: RUB 34.9 trln). ADTV was RUB 1,264.8 bln (August 2018: RUB 1,515.3 bln).
- Total repo transaction volume cleared by the CCP reached RUB 15.0 trln. The CCP-cleared GCC repo segment turnover amounted to RUB 4.8 trln.
- Turnover in precious metals (spot and swaps) was RUB 3.2 bln (August 2018: RUB 12.2 bln), of which RUB 3.2 bln (1.0 t) was gold and RUB 9.3 mln (0.3 t) was silver.
- The total trading volume of agricultural products (grain and sugar) was RUB 0.2 bln (August 2018: RUB 6.1 bln). ADTV was RUB 8.6 mln (August 2018: RUB 265.2 mln).
More recent news from the exchange can be found below: