LeapRate's Daily Forex Industry Newsletter
Join now to receive first access to our EXCLUSIVE reports and updates.
Screenshot of a breaking news alert e-mail from Q2 2017
The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) Index, with upbeat results, continuously increased to 1,548.44, underpinned by the ongoing capital inflows into Asia. Consequently, foreign investors were net buyers of Thai shares for four consecutive months and bought net in Thai stocks in August at THB 34.35 billion (USD 981.54 million).
At the end of August, the combined market capitalization of SET and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 15.34 trillion (USD 438.29 billion), a 21.69 percent increase from the end of last year. The average daily trading value of SET and mai in August was THB 62.26 billion, rising 63.52% YoY.
Key highlights for August
- SET Index ended August at 1,548.44 points, up 20.2% from end-2015, beating other peers across the region, or an increase of 1.6% from a month earlier.
- Market capitalization of SET was at THB 14.96 trillion, up 21.81% from end-2015, while market valuation of mai was at THB 378.83 billion, up 17.11% from end-2015.
- Forward P/E ratio of SET was 16.40 times, while mai’s was 22.43 times.
- Dividend yield ratio of SET was 3.11% at the end of the month, while mai’s was 1.33%.
- In August, average daily trading value of SET and mai rose 63.52% from the same period a year earlier to THB 62.26 billion (USD 1.78 billion). From January to August of this year average daily trading value of SET and mai rose 9.85% to THB 50.80 billion compared to the same period last year.
- Foreign investors were net buyers of Thai shares for four consecutive months, having bought net THB 115.63 billion in shares in the first eight months, and were net buyers in Thai stocks in August at THB 34.35 billion (USD 981.54 million)
- In August, listed companies raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 28.52 billion, consisting of THB 240 million from the primary market and THB 28.28 billion from the secondary market.
Derivatives trading volume rose to an average of 324,606 contracts per day in August, or 253,267 contracts YTD, rising 26.79 percent from the average volume in 2015, mostly due to the increasing transactions of Gold Futures and Single Stock Futures.