LeapRate's Daily Forex Industry Newsletter
Join now to receive first access to our EXCLUSIVE reports and updates.
Screenshot of a breaking news alert e-mail from Q2 2017
SIX Swiss Exchange and SIX Structured Products Exchange have just announced their November 2016 volumes. Here are some of the key figures:
- Trading turnover in November 2016 of CHF 125.8 billion (+36.6% month-on-month)
- Trading turnover in the first 11 months of the year: CHF 1,171.6 billion (-8.0% versus the same period in the previous year of 2015)
- Number of trades in the first 11 months 43,774,231 (-8.2% versus the same period in 2015)
There was a significant MoM increase in trading activity on SIX Swiss Exchange and SIX Structured Products Exchange in November 2016. The number of trades was up by 32.8% to 4,681,692, while trading turnover rose by as much as 36.6% to CHF 125.8 billion.
The structured products and warrants segment delivered the largest percentage growth in trading turnover, which rose by 64.9% to CHF 1.5 billion. Meanwhile, there was also an above-average rise in the number of transactions, which climbed by 37.2% to 61,677. There were also marked increases in the CHF bonds segment: trading turnover climbed by 51.2% to CHF 13.0 billion, while the number of trades rose by 27.8% to 35,611. In the largest segment, equities including funds + ETPs, at 4,483,977 the number of trades was up by 32.6% on the previous month, while turnover rose by 35.3% to CHF 98.1 billion. Within ETFs, at CHF 11.6 billion trading turnover was 39.2% higher than in the preceding month, with the number of transactions (98,783) up by 43.3%.
30 new CHF bond issues (+3.4%) and 3,799 new structured products and warrants (+54.0%) were admitted to trading in November. In all, this means that 250 new CHF bonds (-1.6%) and 33,374 new structured products and warrants (-15.9%) have been listed since the start of the year.
In the year to date, a total of 43,774,231 transactions have been conducted on SIX Swiss Exchange and SIX Structured Products Exchange. This marks a year-on-year decrease of 8.2%. There have been 41,916,593 trades in the equities including funds + ETPs segment, equating to a year-on-year decline of 7.7%. There have been 348,381 (-20.7%) transactions in the CHF bonds segment. Total trading turnover in 2016 has so far failed to match that of the previous year, down 8.0% at CHF 1,171.6 billion. While turnover has risen in the ETFs and non-CHF bonds segments, the overall decline is predominantly due to the lower turnover in the equities including funds + ETPs (-6.1%), CHF bonds (-25.2%) and structured products and warrants (-41.0%) segments. Nevertheless, the average daily trading turnover has come in at CHF 5.0 billion.
The performance of the most important equity indices was as follows in November 2016:
- the blue chip SMI® index stood at 7,875.2 points at the end of November (+0.6% month-on-month, -10.7% versus end-2015).
- the SLI Swiss Leader Index® stood at 1,254.2 points (+2.6%/-5.8%) and
- the broader-based SPI® at 8,623.5 points (+0.5%/-5.2%).
- the SBI® AAA-BBB Total Return index was down versus October (-1.3%/+1.4% compared to end-2015) at 136.4 points.