LeapRate's Daily Forex Industry Newsletter
Join now to receive first access to our EXCLUSIVE reports and updates.
Screenshot of a breaking news alert e-mail from Q2 2017
Today, Singapore Exchange (SGX) one of Asia’s leading and trusted market infrastructures reported October volume metrics. Overall, the exchange reported down numbers as you can read below, as traders and investors have taken a wait-and-see approach to the markets.
For currencies, total FX Futures volume came in at 499,028, down 11% month-on-month and up 5% year-on-year.
One bright spot was renminbi futures, where SGX competes with the Hong Kong Exchanges for market share in the Chinese currency. SGX totaled a 28% gain MoM in USD/CNH (offshore renminbi) futures contracts and a whopping 166% YoY.
The full breakdown of exchange volume is below:
- Total Securities market turnover value was at S$19.6 billion, down 5% month-on-month and down 15% year-on-year, over 21 trading days. There were 21 trading days in September 2016 and 22 in October 2015.
- Securities daily average value (SDAV) was S$934 million, down 5% month-on-month and down 11% year-on-year.
- Market turnover value of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) was S$390 million, rising 81% month-on-month and up 44% year-on-year.
- Market turnover value of structured warrants was S$632 million, down 18% month-on-month and up 157% year-on-year.
- There were no new Mainboard or Catalist listings during the month.
- There were 55 new bond listings, raising S$27.5 billion.
- Total market capitalisation value of 760 listed companies stood at S$912.1 billion as at end-October 2016.
- Total Derivatives volume was 11.5 million, down 14% month-on-month and up 2% year-on-year.
- Equity Index Futures volume was 9.4 million, down 15% month-on-month and down 2% year-on-year.
- FTSE China A50 Index Futures remained the most active contract with volume of 4.2 million, down 16% month-on-month and down 9% year-on-year.
- SGX Nifty 50 Index Futures volume was 1.7 million, down 9% month-on-month and up 7% year-on-year.
- Nikkei 225 Index Futures volume was 1.3 million, down 38% month-on-month and down 31% year-on-year.
- MSCI India Index Futures volume was 15,948, down 8% month-on-month and down 76% year-on-year.
- Total FX Futures volume was 499,028, down 11% month-on-month and up 5% year-on-year.
- SGX INR/USD Futures volume was 434,695, down 15% month-on-month and down 3% year-on-year.
- SGX USD/CNH (offshore renminbi) Futures volume was 55,214, up 28% month-on-month and up 166% year-on-year.
- Value of cleared OTC SGD Interest Rate Swaps was S$11.7 billion, down 12% month-on-month and up 56% year-on-year.
- SGX Commodities Derivatives volume was 1.2 million, up 4% month-on-month and up 58% year-on-year.
- Iron Ore Derivatives volume was about 1.0 million, up 3% month-on-month and up 50% year-on-year.
- Forward Freight Derivatives volume was 37,909, down 17% month-on-month and up 37% year-on-year.