LeapRate's Daily Forex Industry Newsletter
Join now to receive first access to our EXCLUSIVE reports and updates.
Screenshot of a breaking news alert e-mail from Q2 2017
The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) has revealed its achievements in 2016, underlining SET’s strategic plan to develop an ideal capital market for all stakeholders, while strengthening the foundation for the Thai capital market, economy, society, and the country in line with the government’s economic development policies.
SET’s success showcased in 2016 covering four aspects:
- Business: SET proved upbeat businesses at domestic and regional levels:
– Liquidity reaching number one in ASEAN for five consecutive years with the average daily trading value at THB 53.21 billion (As of December 15, 2016) (approx. USD 1.52 billion)
– Market capitalization from initial public offerings (IPOs) at THB 155.61 billion (approx. USD 4.45 billion)
– In terms of trading value, the ratio of retail investors to institutional investors is 53 percent to 47 percent, the number has been growing through SET’s joint marketing activities with securities firms, asset management firms and alliances to expand investor base, such as promoting online investment channels and educational campaigns.
- Quality: The quality of Thai listed firms was reflected by:
– 14 companies selected for the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), the largest figure in ASEAN
– 30 listed companies were included in the FTSE4Good ASEAN 5 Index, out of total of 78 companies, considered the highest number in ASEAN 5.
– Thailand’s ASEAN CG Scorecard has increased continuously to 87 in 2016 from 84 a year ago.
– Their average Corporate Governance Rating (CGR) scored at 78 percent.
– The MSCI Index added five Thai companies, bringing the total to 34.
– Thai listed firms have recently won 14 investor relations awards from the international IR magazine, out of 24 awards from ASEAN.
- Infrastructure: SET has continued to provide and develop state-of-the-art infrastructure and capability in accordance with international practices:
– Receiving ISO/IEC 27001:2013 certification for information security management system standard and ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 certification for information technology services management system standard
– Upgrading the risk management measures for the clearing and settlement system, in accordance with the regulatory standards of the Principle for Financial Market Infrastructure (PFMI)
– Developing FundConnext, a mutual fund trading platform which will be launched in March 2017, with 50 firms in mutual fund industry confirmed to utilize the platform. Out of this more than 90 percent of asset management companies or 22 firms have confirmed to adopt the platform.
- Raising international profile: Hosted the General Assembly of the Asian and Oceanian Stock Exchanges Federation (AOSEF), the Association of National Numbering Agencies (ANNA) General Meeting 2016, the IR magazine Award ceremony, in Bangkok, while SET President Kesara Manchusree has been elected as a member of the Board of Directors of the World Federation of Exchanges (WFE).
SET President Kesara Manchusree stated that in 2016 despite the impact of both internal and external factors, SET could achieve robust growth and top positioning compared with regional markets underpinned by the country’s strong fundamentals, government economic stimulus and listed companies’ adaptability to changing economic conditions. Therefore, SET will gear up towards 2017 growth to develop the capital market for all stakeholders, driven by the vision “To Make the Capital Market ‘Work’ for Everyone”.