LeapRate's Daily Forex Industry Newsletter
Join now to receive first access to our EXCLUSIVE reports and updates.
Screenshot of a breaking news alert e-mail from Q2 2017
The Financial Futures Association of Japan (FFAJ) has just reported the trading data for May 2015 for Japanese retail Forex and binary options brokers. Forex volumes did not provide a good piece of news, as trading activity kept declining last month. On the brighter side, binary options volumes managed to gain some ground and rose slightly on a monthly basis.
It is time to check out the particular numbers, starting with Forex data.
A total of 57 members reported their FX operating metrics for May 2015 to FFAJ, with their OTC retail Forex margin trading volumes amounting to a total of JPY 424 trillion (USD 3.43 trillion). The result is 8.4% down from the JPY 462.8 trillion recorded in April 2015, when the volumes were already declining.
The annual comparison was better, with May 2015 result up massive 77% from the volume of JPY 336 trillion seen in May 2014.
Let’s see what happened on the binary options trading field now. As stated previously, the binary options volumes delivered a better picture than the FX ones when it came to monthly comparisons.
- A total of nine FFAJ members reported their binary options trading metrics for May 2015.
- Their binary options trading volumes for May 2015 totaled JPY 42.04 billion, which is 1% higher than the result seen in April 2015.
- However, on an annual basis, the result in May 2015 lagged substantially behind the volumes of JPY 68.7 billion recorded in May 2014.
- Trading payments were down from JPY 18.6 billion in April 2015 to JPY 18.3 billion in May 2015.
- The number of existing accounts at binary options brokers rose by roughly 3,000 on a monthly basis to 316,562. However, the number of active accounts fell marginally to 14,227.
- Across trading instruments that are most popular as underlying assets for binary options, USD/JPY was most traded, followed by GBP/JPY and EUR/USD.
To download the full binary options report for May 2015, click here.
To download the full OTC FX margin trading report for May 2015, click here.