Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX) announced that they will launch Indian Rupee (INR) Currency Futures in Q4 2019.
The exchange plans to introduce two new futures contracts:
- the INR vs US Dollar (INR/USD) Futures; and
- the INR vs Renminbi traded in Hong Kong (INR/CNH) Futures.
The INR/CNH Futures contract will be the first of its kind globally.
The launch of the INR Currency Futures is part of HKEX’s ongoing strategic commitment to bolster Hong Kong’s role as the region’s premier FX and fixed-income trading hub,” said Julien Martin, HKEX’s Head of Fixed-Income and Currencies (FIC).
We are pleased to further extend our FIC product offering and to provide market participants additional risk management tools on a broader range of currencies,” he added.
HKEX launched its first currency futures contract, the USD/CNH Futures, in 2012, and has since been expanding its currency derivatives market, with nearly 140 brokers offering its FX products to a diverse group of customers.
In addition to the USD/CNH Futures, HKEX also offers contracts with the CNH vs the Australian dollar, the Euro, and the Japanese yen. In 2017, it also launched USD/CNH options contracts.
The launch date of INR Currency Futures will be announced in due course, and is subject to regulatory approval.
More news from the APAC region can be seen below:
- Exclusive Interview: South Korea’s move into the cryptocurrency space – PIEXGO’s CEO speaks
- Singapore spurs development of FX trading hub & ecosystem
- Exclusive: IS Prime Australia goes live with Agency Voice Execution business
- State Street Trust provides first Japanese pension fund with access to CLSSettlement