CME Forex volumes creep down 7% MoM, EM sees increase


CME Group Inc (NASDAQ: CME), the world’s leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, today announced that May 2016 overall volume averaged 14.9 million contracts per day, up 6 percent from May 2015. CME Group May 2016 options volume averaged 2.8 million contracts per day, up 10 percent versus May 2015, with electronic options averaging 1.6 million contracts per day, up 13 percent over the same period last year.  Total open interest at the end of May was 113 million contracts, up 23 percent from year-end 2015.

Foreign exchange volume averaged 716,000 contracts per day in May 2016, down 19 percent from May 2015 and down 7 percent from April 2016 (see chart above).

Highlights include:

  • Increased Emerging Market currency pairs futures and options average daily volume, with Brazilian Real up 113 percent, South African Rand up 105 percent, Russian Ruble up 66 percent, Mexican Peso up 49 percent, and Canadian Dollar and Australian Dollar both up 21 percent
  • Grew Indian Rupee/USD futures average daily volume 12 percent, reaching a record trading day on May 27 of 1,373 contracts

Related News

arrow

CME Forex volumes creep down 7% MoM, EM sees increase

0

Send this to a friend