Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA) has announced its financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2016 and they are better than ever.
What were the highlights this time:
- Revenue was RMB32,154 million (US$4,838 million), an increase of 59% year-over-year.
- China retail marketplaces revenue was RMB23,383 million (US$3,518 million), an increase of 49% yearover-year; and mobile revenue of China retail marketplaces was RMB17,514 million (US$2,635 million), an increase of 119% year-over-year, representing 75% of the total China retail marketplaces revenue.
- Core commerce earnings before interest, tax and amortization was RMB16,624 million (US$2,501 million), an increase of 38% year-over-year, representing an adjusted EBITA margin of 61%.
- Non-GAAP diluted EPS was RMB4.90 (US$0.74), an increase of 33% year-over-year.
- Mobile MAUs in June reached 427 million, an increase of 17 million over March 2016, while annual active buyers on our China retail marketplaces increased to 434 million, a net addition of 11 million annual active buyers from the prior quarter.
- GMV transacted on China retail marketplaces was RMB837 billion (US$126 billion), an increase of RMB164 billion (US$25 billion), or 24% year-over-year, with mobile GMV accounting for 75% of total GMV.
- Alibaba’s cloud computing business continued its rapid expansion, with revenue in this quarter increasing 156% YoY to RMB1,243 million (US$187 million). Adjusted EBITA loss narrowed to RMB158 million (US$24 million) this quarter from RMB368 million in the same quarter of 2015.
Daniel Zhang, Chief Executive Officer of Alibaba Group, commented:
Alibaba Group had an outstanding quarter. Our results show the scale and leverage of our ecosystem, as we strengthen our competitive positions in core commerce, cloud computing and digital media and entertainment. The acceleration of our revenue growth reflects the deep value propositions that we bring to our customers. We are changing the way our 434 million active buyers engage with our platform, as we introduce social, community and personalization driven by smart data into our e-commerce marketplaces, realizing our vision of ‘[email protected]’. We are poised for strong profitable growth into the future.”
Maggie Wu, Chief Financial Officer of Alibaba Group, added:
We delivered excellent results this quarter. The 59% revenue growth for the company overall and the 49% revenue growth of our China retail marketplaces represent the highest growth rates we’ve achieved since our IPO. We passed an important milestone this quarter in achieving higher monetization of mobile users than non-mobile users for the first time, reflecting the success of our strategy to stay ahead of the curve by embracing mobile. As we demonstrate from our segmental disclosure, our results reflect the unrivaled strength of our core commerce business, as well as the accelerating traction we are seeing from our cloud computing and digital media and entertainment businesses.”
To explore AliBaba’s full report, click here.