MTGox claims reach nearly JPY 2.7 trillion, 68% of creditors await bankruptcy trustee decision


The Trustee of now defunct Japanese Bitcoin exchange MTGOX today published the report distributed at the fifth creditors’ meeting. In the report, the Trustee provides information on the current status of claims filed against the company, as well as the ongoing investigations into the disappearance of Bitcoins from the Exchange.

Putting it briefly, the amount of claims filed from creditors has risen from the previous meeting held in September 2015 and has now reached JPY 2,695,239, 249,594 (approximately $23.7 billion).

The Trustee has made up his mind (“accept or reject”) regarding the claims of 32% of the creditors, which means that the remaining 68%, or 16,776 persons, have yet to learn whether the Trustee accepts or rejects their claims.

The amount of BTC managed by the bankruptcy estate as of February 9, 2016 is 202,163.41191816 BTC, a notch higher from September last year.

  • Robert Marie Mark Karpeles

The bankruptcy proceeding against Mr. Karpeles officially commenced on November 10, 2015, and Ms. Masako Sakaguchi was appointed as the bankruptcy trustee. Robert Marie Mark Karpeles was prosecuted on September 11, 2015 on suspicion of unauthorized creation and use of private electromagnetic records and suspicion of corporate embezzlement. He was prosecuted on November 18, 2015 on the same suspicion of unauthorized creation and use of private electromagnetic records and suspicion of corporate embezzlement, and remains under detention.

  • Probability of Distribution

The Trustee plans to proceed to distribution processes after all filed bankruptcy claims have been accepted or rejected, and the amount of the bankruptcy claims is fixed. Currently, the possibility of carrying out a distribution and its timing and method have not been determined.

You can view the full report (for English, scroll down) by clicking here.

Related News

arrow

MTGox claims reach nearly JPY 2.7 trillion, 68% of creditors await bankruptcy trustee decision

13

Send this to a friend