The picture that the Forex industry’s operating metrics have so far drawn for August 2015 was pretty upbeat, but Japanese FX giant GMO Click Securities, part of GMO Click Holdings Inc (TYO:7177), today somewhat disappointed – at least in terms of its OTC Forex volumes for last month.
These were broadly unchanged from the July 2015 reading, which was far from strong itself. On the brighter side, on-exchange Forex trading activity kept climbing and August delivered a steep rise in Click365 volumes.
Let’s examine the particular metrics:
- GMO Click reported OTC Forex volumes of JPY 112.53 trillion ($936.9 billion) in August 2015, down 0.4% from JPY 112.94 trillion recorded in July 2015.
- OTC Forex volumes in August 2015 compared favourably with the result of JPY 50.27 trillion registered in August 2014. The increase in annual terms is 124%.
- The number of Forex Neo accounts rose in both annual and monthly terms – the rise from July 2015 levels is 0.9%.
- On-exchange trading provided a piece of good news in August 2015, as the number of contracts traded on Click365 reached 670,840, up massive 21.7% from July 2015 levels and up 137% from August 2014.
- The number of Click365 accounts also registered a small month-on-month rise (+1.1%) and reached 304,235 at the end of August 2015.
GMO Click’s OTC Forex volumes (red line). Unit: trillion yen
To view the detailed operating metrics report by GMO Click for August 2015, click here.