The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) just released its November volumes report and the SET Index gained 10 percent from the end of last year to 1,697.39 points at the end of November, but dropped 1.4 percent from the end of October. Thailand Futures Exchange (TFEX) average derivatives trading volume was 352,292 contracts per day, rising 26.3 percent year-on-year.
SET Senior Executive Vice President Pakorn Peetathawatchai said in November SET Index declined, similar to other Asian emerging markets’ falls. Foreign investors remained net buyers in Thai bonds, while being net sellers in most Asian stock markets including Indonesia, Taiwan, Thailand and the Philippines.
- SET Index closed at 1,697.39 points, up 10 pct from end-2016.
- Average daily securities trading value up 1.9 pct y-o-y to USD 1.8 bln
- Market cap at THB 17.2 trillion (USD 521.2 billion), a 10.8 pct rise from end-2016
- Average derivatives trading rose 26.3 pct y-o-y to 352,292 contracts/ day.
Key highlights for November
- In November, foreign investors sold a net THB 18.9 billion of Thai shares, and being net sellers at THB 17.1 billion during January-November, while being net buyers in Thai bonds since the beginning of this year.
- SET Index ended November at 1,697.39 points, up 10.0 percent from end-2016. Four industry groups that outperformed SET Index were Industrials, Services, Resources and Financials.
- Forward P/E ratio of SET was 17.05 times at end-November, while historical P/E ratio stood at 18.29 times. Both forward and historical P/E ratios of the Thai stock market were higher than the average ratio of Asian stock markets’ forward and historic P/E at 15.75 times and 16.53 times, respectively.
- Dividend yield ratio of SET was 2.89 percent at end-November, above Asian stock markets’ average ratio of 2.53 percent.
- A combined market capitalization of SET and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was THB 17.2 trillion (USD 521.2 billion) at the end of November, rising 10.8 percent from the end of 2016.
- The average daily trading value of SET and mai in November amounted to THB 58.9 billion, up 1.9 percent over the same period a year before. The average daily trading value for the 11-month period from January to November totaled THB 50 billion, down 6.2 percent from the same period a year earlier.
- In November, the average derivatives trading volume jumped 26.3 percent year-on-year to 352,292 contracts per day, largely driven by the increase in transactions of Single Stock Futures. During January to November, the average daily trading volume also rose by 11.7 percent from the same period a year earlier to 318,525 contracts a day.